Major 1
Major 1
Cai Zihan / 0378043
Major 1/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylor's University
INSTRUCTIONS
<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ya8-R6fyVd06PN7yvvQ8hTpyIq-O2sC8/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>
Project
I showed the first proposal to Mr. Kannan and he said: The game idea is fine to start but you need to further enhance it. However, you need to mention what type of game it is side scrolling, 3D/2D, platformer, 1st person etc? Nothing is mentioned here. There is no moodboard to indicate how the game art will look. In fact you are just narrating only. I want see the game flow (greybox). Are you creating the game from scratch or using a template? How many levels are you looking at? Game play in terms of its flow, navigation, controls, mechanics? Needs to be clear. I want to see visuals (roughs).
First proposal
Afterwards, I showed my proposal to Mr. Ronald, who said: You should make a VR game about immersive experience. It doesn't have to be like a game, but it needs to give the audience a sense of experience.
I've completely redone a new proposal.
Core Story Setting:
The core narrative of this VR experience revolves around a quiet, abandoned vintage record store, set on a rainy midnight. Contrary to the player's initial expectations, this dimly lit space is not a physical store. Instead, it is a vivid projection of the protagonist's inner world, composed of fragmented memories he cannot let go of. There are no staff members or other noteworthy interactive items; the only key interactive prop driving the entire story is a vintage wooden record player placed in the center of the room.
During gameplay, players can use VR controllers to walk around the store, selecting vinyl records from the shelves on the wall. I will place three interactive records. Once a record is placed on the record player, the music starts, and the surrounding environment instantly changes, taking the player into one of three unique memory scenes, arranged in a clear emotional sequence. The first memory scene is filled with a gentle and warm atmosphere, closely connected to the protagonist's carefree childhood. The second scene takes place on a stormy night, capturing the protagonist's past painful sense of loss. The final memory space is shrouded in an endless, silent snowscape, symbolizing the protagonist's emotional numbness and self-isolation. After the player listens to the third and final record, all the lights in the record store slowly dim, and a gentle monologue echoes in the space. This concluding line is spoken by the protagonist to his younger self, gently reconciling with the painful past and bringing the entire story to a close.
Core Gameplay: Utilizing Unity XR for VR controller/hand tracking interaction, the complete process is: freely explore the space → grab a record from the shelf → attach it to the record player → trigger global changes in music, lighting, and weather → jump to a private memory room for free exploration; no combat throughout, extremely simple controls, and smooth movement and teleportation modes to reduce VR motion sickness.
Initially, I wanted to create a rough layout for the record store.
Since I didn't want to spend too much time on modeling, I used some models that could be found online, and modeled the others myself.
This is a scene from a record store.
Demo proposal:
First, I installed all the necessary packages.
1. Top menu bar: Window → Package Manager
2. Top left dropdown menu: Unity Registry
3. The following XR packages need to be downloaded: XR Plugin Management, XR Interaction Toolkit, Oculus XR Plugin
Next, I enabled the Oculus platform driver and bound the Quest device.
1. Top: Edit → Project Settings → XR Plug-in Management
2. At the top of the panel, there are two platforms: PC and Android. ◦ PC platform: Check the box for Oculus below. ◦ Android platform: Check the box for Oculus below.
3. Open the Oculus XR Plugin submenu on the left and uncheck Passthrough.
I adjusted the data to adapt to the VR headset.
Step 1: Import Essential XR Toolkits into Unity (Install within the Project)
1. Top Menu: Window → Package Manager
2. Switch to Unity Registry in the top left corner, search for and install the following 3 packages in sequence:
◦ XR Interaction Toolkit
◦ Oculus XR Plugin
◦ XR Plugin Management
Step 2: Enable XR Plugin Management and bind the Oculus platform
1. Open Edit → Project Settings → XR Plug-in Management
2. In the Android platform section below, select Oculus; in the PC platform section (for streaming testing), also select Oculus.
3. Switch to the Oculus XR Plugin settings page, enable Passthrough, and then disable it.
Add grab functionality to the controller
1. Select the Right Controller → In the Inspector, click Add Component and add: XR Ray Interactor, XR Grab Interactor
2. Add the same components to the Left Controller;
3. To display a white sphere model on the controller: Create a new Sphere under Controllers, scale it down, and use it as the controller's visual tooltip.
I've created a system where you can control the character and grab using the keyboard. The main controls are: hold down the SHIFT key to control the left controller, press the spacebar to control the right controller, and press G to grab. If you don't have VR equipment, you can try playing it on a computer first.
I also made one that can be played directly with a VR device; you just need to check the OpenXR option in the project settings in the edit menu.
To enable record grabbing and record player to magnetically attach records:
Select the record object → Add component: XR Grab Interactable, which will allow it to be directly grabbed by VR controllers.
To enable the vinyl record to be picked up by the VR controller:
1. Select the vinyl record model in the layer.
2. Add the component "XR Grab Interactable" on the right.
3. Ensure the record has a built-in Box Collider and uncheck "Is Trigger" (triggers cannot be picked up).
4. Repeat this step to add the component for all subsequent pickable records in the project.
I even added a script to make it possible to rip the record.
To switch between the two scenes, I added a new object to the record store scene and attached a script to it to ensure that the screen would not go black when switching scenes.
This is the setup for the first scene: the children's room.
When the protagonist puts the record into the record player, the record player starts playing music, and the protagonist is lost in memories. The scene then shifts to the first memory: childhood memories. When the music ends, the protagonist returns to the record store.
This is the music I chose for Memories 1.
I feel this song evokes a sense of nostalgia, like childhood memories.
Below is the video I recorded after completing my first memory recording.
I've prepared two videos. The first is a demo video where you can see the controller on the screen; I think this will create a better demonstration. The second video is a gameplay video, showing how players interact with the game.
Feedback:
Besides the room in the transition scene, what else is in the "Childhood Memories" section? I need to add something else. Specifically, I need to add some storytelling to my project, so I need to think about what I can add to make my project more highlight-worthy.
Main Project One Final Submission:
Project Management Document:
Simple proposal:
Screening of the performance:













Comments
Post a Comment